After a strenuous workout or personal training session, it’s important to refuel your body properly. You can do this with the right choice of a post-workout meal. The post-workout meals you choose should replenish energy, rehydrate, and help you repair muscle. They should give your body back what it lost while exercising, and prepare it for the next workout.
The following are 3 post-workout meals that we think you’ll enjoy. These meals include complex carbs to reenergize, protein to heal muscles, and hydrating ingredients to help you maintain the proper fluid balance.
1. Brown Rice with Avocado
1/2 cup brown rice or jade pearl rice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 avocado, cubed
1 tablespoon organic soy sauce (or more to taste)
1. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan or pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot, and cook for 20 minutes.
2. While rice is cooking, place 1 tablespoon of peanut oil, garlic, and sesame seeds into a small saucepan or skillet. Sauté garlic and sesame seeds on medium until golden brown, cooking about 4-5 minutes.
3. When the rice is cooked, place it in a large serving bowl. Add garlic, sesame seeds, avocado, and soy sauce. Stir until incorporated.
2. Easy Chili
1 pound organic Roma tomatoes, crushed
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 cup water
1/4 cup continental parsley
1 teaspoon ground red chilis
Pinch of sea salt
Non-dairy cheese for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium stockpot, sauté crushed tomatoes, onion, and garlic until all vegetables are tender.
2. Add kidney and cannellini beans and water, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add parsley and ground red chili. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the texture reaches the desired thickness.
3. Flavor with sea salt, if desired. Garnish with a sprinkle of non-dairy cheese.
3. Spinach Salad with Chickpeas, Avocado, and Quinoa
1 pound organic baby spinach, washed
1 cup red quinoa, cooked
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 jar artichoke hearts, drained
6 organic cherry tomatoes
1 avocado, cubed
1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon yellow Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
1. Prepare vinaigrette by thoroughly mixing apple cider vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup with a whisk. Set aside.
2. Place baby spinach in a large serving bowl. Toss with prepared vinaigrette, reserving a little for after ingredient assembly.
3. Add quinoa and toss until well incorporated. Top with chickpeas, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top. Serve immediately.
There are so many healthy, reenergizing post-workout meals from which you can choose. We encourage you to experiment with lots of antioxidant-rich dark leafy greens, sprouted grains, heart-healthy fats, and protein-rich legumes. Have fun preparing post-workout meals that you can eat after your personal training sessions in our Los Angeles and Santa Monica studios.
Adam & Amanda
We have spent most of our adult lives training and guiding thousands of people toward better health & fitness. We have created this A4 Blog in order to better educate our friends & members. We will answer any of your health / fitness / nutrition questions as well as keeping you posted on what's new at A4.